Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    October 17, 2008

    The Dancing Canary

    Have you ever noticed how once you start thinking about something, or notice a pattern, suddenly it's everywhere?

    Recently, I wondered on this blog about the relationship between Gen Y and Arts-related fundraising. And now that I've started thinking about it, I am finding interesting info and articles related to this seemingly everywhere!

    One article in particular really caught my attention. "Arts Fundraising Shifts Gears in a Perilous Economy" in the The LA Times is a fascinating read.

    According to the article, "Dance, in fact, is the canary in the coal mine." Now that I think about it, it has been a while since I have been to the ballet- something I enjoy but is certainly a "luxury" item even when I remember to look up those cheap tickets prices 5 months in advance at the top corner balcony of the Kennedy Center.

    How are the dancing canaries adapting?

    "You no longer market a performance that you sit and look at. What you offer is a complete experience that begins before the performance even starts and may continue afterward."

    Ah, the engaged donor experience. Sound familiar? Making your audience (donor) feel a part of what you are doing, not just as a sideline viewer? Could these canaries be Gen Y canaries?

    The article has a lot more great info on what various art institutions are doing, not just dance companies, so read on!

    No comments: