Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    January 3, 2009

    Environmental Defense Fund hits the mark with Polar Bear Ad.

    I know I promised my next post to be about video, but as I work on that, here is an ad that really caught my attention recently. I saw this on TV and think it is very effective. Here is why:

    1) It tears at your heartstrings, but not in the kind of way that makes you want to switch channels because you can't watch anymore.
    2) It makes its point, poignantly. The ad is very self-explanatory without being verbose.
    3) Connects two issues that may seem unrelated (the threat posed to polar bears and taking public transportation), but both of which have a lot of passionate supporters .
    4) Points to something we can all do, even if we can't give

    The interesting part of this ad on TV is that it had a "branded" URL. Nowhere did it say "Environmental Defense Fund" but rather pointed viewers to a global warming URL. An interesting technique for an organization that may have a certain "reputation" and did not want to put off certain types of donor who may have had preconceived notions.

    No comments: